We were firmly a pancake family on Sundays. That was until our lovely American neighbours moved in across the street and we learnt about waffles.
We’ve been cranking them out ever since.
This recipe is slightly adapted from Heather Crosby’s of Yum Universe. It’s a lot lower in fat than your standard waffle recipe so make sure you cook them well to avoid sticking.
1 cup water/almond milk
1 ripe banana
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup chick pea flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch ground cinnamon
1. Have the waffle iron heating while you prepare the batter.
2. Blend the wet ingredients.
3. Combine the dry ingredients and mix in the wet mixture
4. Using a pastry brush, coat your waffle iron with coconut oil.
6. Top warm waffles with warm berry or apple compote, sliced bananas and other seasonal fruit.